The Ultrasound Technician Salary ranks among the highest salaries of all medical technician fields. In fact, Glassdoor.com named Diagnostic Medical Sonographer as the 2nd best high paying job you can get with just an associates degree, and U.S. News also ranked it on #3 for the best healthcare jobs in US. The average Sonographer salary is $68,900 Annually which is around $33 Per Hour. The top 10% ultrasound technician earns $100,000+ and the bottom 10% earns $40,000+ according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Ultrasound technician has really high earning potential, which is combined with great employment outlook of 48% and this is why career in sonography is a popular choice in the medical world.
A Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, Popularly known as an Ultrasound Technician or Sonogram Technician, uses sonography to assess and detect the existence or lack of a prevailing medical condition. As a Sonographer, the health specialist focuses sound waves on a particular part of the body to create images of the soft tissues to help and come up with an overall diagnosis. They play an important part in the diagnosis process. It is through their findings that Physicians are able to make well informed decisions about the patient’s health condition. With the Increased demand for Ultrasounds as opposed to X-rays, the field of sonography promises a bright future with great ultrasound technician salary as it continues to grow at an increasing rate.
Sonographers can work in various places; from hospitals to physician’s offices and even holding management positions. Their skills work hand in hand with physicians making them an important part of the equation in improving the patient’s health. Given its varied use in forming a conclusive diagnosis, ultrasound technicians can specialize in performing sonography on specific parts of the body. For any individual considering joining the field of medicine, choosing sonography promises a bright future, endless possibilities and great ultrasound technician salary.
With the right educational background coupled with work experience, you cannot go any wrong.
Ultrasound Technician Schools In US
Like any other medical profession, for one to become a qualified and skilled Sonographer to earn good salary, one must get the proper training. Well, Identifying a school that will be able to offer you the best hands on teaching experience and also build on your knowledge is vital. They play a crucial role in the diagnosis process, certification is required by most if not all employers. Learning in a certified institution also ensures that you meet the markets requirements making you a better candidate for employment with good ultrasound technician salary. There are huge possibilities of career growth and employment and also the advancement in upcoming years according to BLS (Bureau of Labor and Statistics) in US. The number of technicians are expected to increase by 48% which is more than 60,000+ certified and registered technicians in US.
Find Best Ultrasound Technician Schools Today (It’s FAST & FREE – 3 Steps Only)
Depending on the learning path you choose, many schools in the US offer courses at Associate Degree, Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree level. So, If you wish to study to become an ultrasound tech, you can either opt for a regular or online method of learning. The regular mode of learning is where you attend class physically on a daily basis.
For Online Ultrasound Tech Programs, a series of detailed notes and videos are sent to the students. E-learning students have online platforms which are available to them to discuss with fellow students and learn more from each other. Online ultrasound classes are a good option for those already in the employment field or not located close to learning institutions. For those interested in Best Ultrasound Schools in US below is a Top 10 List of Most Popular Schools;
Top 10 Ultrasound Technician Schools In US
|1.||Free Admission Info|
|2.||Free Admission Info|
|3.||Free Admission Info|
|4.||Free Admission Info|
|5.||Free Admission Info|
|6.||Free Admission Info|
|7.||Free Admission Info|
|8.||Free Admission Info|
|9.||Free Admission Info|
|10.||Free Admission Info|
How To Become An Ultrasound Technician?
The road to becoming an ultrasound technician demands commitment and hard work. For starters, you must have a high school diploma or a GED. These are the minimal requirements for applying to any institution that offers the course. A good background in the mathematics, biology and physics is important as these are the core subjects in sonography.
The second step is completing an associates degree or bachelor’s degree in diagnostic medical sonography from an institution that is accredited already by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs Or CAAHEP.
|1.||Entry-Level Education||Associate Degree|
|2.||Certificates||Professional Certification is Recommended|
|4.||Ultrasound Tech Average Salary||$68,900 Per Year|
|3.||Projected Growth||48% (High Demand)|
|6.||New Job Opening (2021-2025)||40,000+|
|7.||Number of Positions (U.S.)||60,000+|
Like any other career, work experience plays an important role in amassing knowledge about the specific field. Clinic experience enables the student to apply the knowledge learnt in class and also get a better understanding of sonography. Professional debates also offer additional training to students. For any student, it is also advisable to take the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography Or ARDMS Exams. By being Certified, this will increase your possibility of getting employed with best ultrasound technician salary. After observing all the necessary steps, start looking for jobs that meet your skills. Such jobs are available in hospitals and as well as physician offices. With the right qualifications, you can easily find your dream job!
Education is Power. This is no different in the case of sonography. Education is imperative and based on the level that you wish to achieve, so will the time required. The Medical field offers a flexible learning opportunity.
For individuals already in the health sector and wish to branch into sonography, a certificate in ultrasound technology will help them get to the next level. Seeing as the individual already has a background in the health sector, the certificate simply adds on to their knowledge. It focuses on the introduction to sonography and its applications. A hand on approach is also used at this level to give the student a better learning experience.
- Associate’s Degree – In the case that you opt for an associate’s degree, it takes less time than a bachelor’s degree and offers a good starting point for any student. An associate’s degree takes two years saving you the extra two years taken in a bachelor’s degree. A student should expect to acquire clinical experience as it is part of the course work. Courses commonly covered under the associates degree are; clinical pathology, sonographic physics and vascular sonography. In some instances, the student may be required to show a good understanding of the core subjects such as math, physics, biology and the humanities. Furthermore, students are encouraged to have prior understanding of the health sector so as to aid them in their course work.
- Bachelor’s Degree – The bachelor’s degree takes four years. The four years of learning award the student with a deeper understanding of the study. Under the bachelor’s degree, the student can focus on diagnostic medical sonography, cardiovascular sonography and abdominal sonography to name a few.
- Master’s Degree – Master’s programs are also available to those who wish to further their education. By doing a post graduate, you become eligible for administration and management positions. It is therefore useful for individuals who are eyeing management levels. A master’s degree can also be acquired for specialisation purposes; that is focusing on a specific part of the body or organ.
When deciding on the right program for you, steer clear of institutions that offer 4 to 6 months training. They are not only accredited but also do not impart the necessary knowledge. Moreover, it is advisable to learn as much as possible about the courses offered by most if not all schools that offer ultrasound technology. In the event that you choose a school that does not offer your line of specialisation or interest, you will be at a great loss. Every institution has a certain course for which it teaches well and has specialized in. Ensure you get the best learning experience from your institution of choice.
The United States Labor of Bureau Statistics Estimated a 48% growth in the field of ultrasound technology between the years 2021 to 2025. In the year 2022 alone, we expect a 16% growth in this field making it the opportune moment to join the practice. This promises a bright future for all.
Advancements in technology coupled with increased demand for Sonogram technician have led to the positive estimates. As technology improves, They are able to use these ultrasound machines to better their skills making them more reliable and accurate. This has also led to the reduced demand for X-ray machines due to the exposure to radiation. Specialization has also played a critical role in creating more demand for Sonogram technicians. Through specialisation, any one can prove to be more viable in his or her field. This in turn leads to increased wages and increased demand for their skills.
The ageing population in the US is also one of the push factors for the positive job outlooks for ultrasound techs. As individuals continue to age, there is more demand. Sonographers are also expanding their offices from hospitals to physicians offices and imaging centres making them a targeted commodity.
Ultrasound Technician Job Description?
The main duty of a technician is patient care. After receiving a patient, the diagnostic medical sonographer is required to explain the procedure to the patient and tell them what is required of them. The Ultrasound technologist will then use his equipment to look at the subject’s internal organs or soft tissues. After that they apply their knowledge in human anatomy and physiology to detect any abnormalities. The patient is usually awake when the procedure is taking place giving both parties to discuss and clarify what is going on. This therefore requires a sonographer to have good communication skills. Body strength is an added advantage to a sonographer seeing as they work with all sorts of patients – from elderly patients to young individuals who may be badly injured- and they tend to work alone or only with the assistance of one nurse.
In the case where the patient’s condition cannot allow him to come to the hospitals, It is a duty of a Sonogram technician to go to them. Seeing as some machines are portable, the sonographer can easily move from one workspace to another. They use their expertise to analyse the results and make proper recommendations to the physician. The images and recommendations will then be taken to the physician.
Ultrasound Technician Salary
As of 2022, the average ultrasound technician salary is $68,900 Annually. The salary however will vary on a number of things. For starter, more experience in the field of sonography will lead to a higher wage rate. This however, does not necessary mean that beginners do not have good salaries. For an ultrasound technician with 1 year of clinic experience, you can expect an average Sonographer salary of $43,500 per annum. This salary will continue to grow up to an average of $60,462 annually to individuals with one to five years experience and up to $100,000 to technicians with twenty years experience. One of the key factors therefore, is to increase your work experience is order to increase your ultrasound technician salary in US.
Ultrasound Technician Salary By State
|S.No.||USA States||Average Ultrasound Technician Salary|
Specialisation in a certain field of sonography can also help increase your ultrasound technician salary. This is mainly due to the competitive demand of the lack of certain specialists. For example a Cardiac Sonographer Salary is $68,000 while a Vascular Sonographer Salary is $48,000 per annum. This clearly indicates that some areas of specialisation will offer a better payoff than others. Location is another imperative factor in an ultrasound technician’s salary. Cosmopolitans will offer better salaries as compared to rural settings.
|S.No.||Industry Sector||Salary (Annually)|
|1.||Offices of Physicians||$68,000|
|2.||General Medical & Surgical Hospitals||$66,000|
|3.||Outpatient Care Centers||$72,000|
|4.||Colleges, Universities & Professional Schools||$74,000|
|5.||Medical & Diagnostic Laboratories||$65,000|
What Is The Average Salary Of An Ultrasound Technician?
With a National Median of $68,900, technicians in the states named above earn an extra $20,000-$40,000 on top. Therefore, if you aspire to be a technician, it is vital to look at your area of study, the job offers and also the salaries offered to Sonographers before committing to a specific location. Generally, being an ultrasound tech offers a good salary compared to other fields in the medical world and given its projected growth rate of 48%; you can expect increase in ultrasound tech salary as time progresses. If you are doing that brings you joy, why not make the most out of it by earning a good ultrasound technician salary.
The Salary That An Ultrasound Technician Earns Depends On A Number Of Factors Including :-
- Education and experience – Just like in any other field, the more educated and experienced the technician is, the higher the pay.
- Area of Specialisation – Different areas of specialisation earn better than others. According to data collected by Bureau of Labor Statistics, technicians specialising in cardiac ultrasound earn more than others.
- Facility of Employment – Ultrasound Technician Salary varies from one institution to another. Data has shown that those working in outpatient care centres, colleges, universities, specialty hospitals, and professional schools earn more than technicians working in other facilities.
- City – The city that a technician works in greatly determines the salary. In the United States, best salaries are offered in these cities: Tucson, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, New York city, Phoenix, Kansas city, Orlando, Miami, and Las Vegas. From the data, we can deduce that a technician earns more in larger, popular cities.
A career as an ultrasound tech is an interesting one and its demand is on the rise. This means that when you are through with school you are guaranteed of getting a job. The school that you attend greatly impacts your career; therefore, be careful when choosing your learning institution.
How To Increase Ultrasound Technician Salary?
To Increase your ultrasound technician salary, there are several things one can do. For starters, you can specialise in a certain field. By specialisation, you make yourself a, valuable and important asset in the field of sonography. An example of a good area of specialilization is fetal ultrasounds. It is safe to say that people will continue to bear children and for this reason the need for such expertise will be there. Mothers-to-be will need to check the progress of their unborn child throughout their pregnancy.
If you seek a challenging perspective in the field of sonography, the field of research and development will not only quench your thirst but also increase your salary. Opportunities to improve the field of sonography are there in plenty and will continue to offer better solutions. You can also opt to teach students at local institutions part time or full time as a way of increasing your ultrasound technician salary in 2022.
|Ultrasound Tech Salary By Experience||Low Annual||High Annual|
Management and administrative positions are also available to sonogram technicians. These positions are usually open to technicians who have good work experience and/or have furthered their studies. An administrative position leads to an automatic pay increase as your role become to supervise and coordinate fellow medical Sonographers in a hospital or imaging centre.
Ultrasound Technician Job Titles With Salary
Just like other careers, the ultrasound technician position has many titles that vary depending on the position of the professional and area of specialisation. Every job title has its unique level of education and area of specialisation. It also has a different salary. The senior positions attract a higher ultrasound technician salary.
Let us now look at the salaries that go with the different job titles:
- Chief Ultrasound Technologist Salary – As a chief ultrasound technologist you will be responsible for overseeing the other ultrasound technologists. You will also be required to ensure that the ultrasound services are up to standard. You will be working closely with physicians, technologists and other support staff. As a chief ultrasound technologist you will receive a salary of as high as $89,000.
- Surgical Technologist Salary – A surgical technologist ensures that the surgical equipment is ready and well maintained. Before operation, he/she is responsible for setting up the necessary equipment. He/she must be present in the surgery room and hands the necessary instruments to the doctor to ensure that surgeries run flawlessly. Surgical Technologists attract salaries of up to $60,000.
- Radiologic Technologist Salary – From the name, a radiologic technologist is a professional who delivers radiation diagnostics and treatments. The professional should not only capture the body images, he/she is also responsible for educating the patient about the radiation waves. Since he/she has the necessary information, he is also responsible for protecting the patient from harmful rays. A radiologic technologist gets a salary of $55,000 per year.
- Medical Technologist (ASCP) Salary – A medical technologist supervises medical technicians. He/she is also responsible for collecting samples and analysing them for abnormalities. The professional may also sit with experts and help in figuring out patient problems. He/she is also responsible for ensuring that the lab equipment are in good condition and are giving accurate results. Medical technologist salary is $64,000.
- Chief Radiologic Technologist Salary – The chief radiologic technologist oversees the radiologic services. He/she also evaluates the quality and accuracy of X-ray images made by radiologic technologists. He/she also gives assignments to relevant technologists. The professional also gives recommendations on new equipment that may be required in the facility. As of January 1, 2022, chief radiologic technologist salary ranged between $57,000 and $87,000.
- Chief MRI Technologist Salary – The chief MRI technologist oversees the resonance department, evaluates the quality and accuracy of MRIs and ensures that the safety standards are observed. The professional also assigns work to junior technicians. If new equipment is needed, the chief MRI technologist offers recommendations of the best to buy. Chief MRI technologist salary ranges from $74,000 to $88, 500.
- CAT Scan technologist salary – A CAT scan technologist undertakes abdominal, gynaecological and retroperitoneal scans. The professional also directly interacts with patients where he/she obtains the patients’ medical records, explains to the patients about the standard procedures, and addresses any issues that patients maybe having. The salary of a CAT scan technologist ranges from $59,500 to $72,000.
- Chief Diagnostic Imaging Operations Technologist Salary – The chief diagnostic imaging operations technologist directs the operations of the imaging department. The professional also supervises any new procedures and ensures that the necessary protocols are followed. He is also the custodian of the department supplies, materials and equipment. As of January 1, 2022 the salary of the professional ranged between $80,000 and $100,000.
- Chief Nuclear Medicine Technologist Salary – The chief nuclear medicine technologist acts as an administrative oversight for the entire nuclear medicine department. The professional also comes up with the technical policies. He/she is also responsible for implementing the policies. It’s also the responsibility of the professional to ensure that the department devices are well used and maintained. The median salary of a chief nuclear medicine technologist is $100,000.
Ultrasound Technician Salary Expectations In 2022
With a projected growth of 48%, one can expect huge increase in average ultrasound technician salary. The increasing demand will see an increase in hourly wage rates in most areas of the country. States that offer high wages such as California and Oregon to name a few will be expected to see the highest rise of ultrasound technician salary in US. For States with lower annual wages such as Alabama, they will have an increase in salaries but the effect will not be felt as those in urban areas. It is evident that location plays an important role in the amount of salary paid. For those who wish to increase their ultrasound technician salary, you can move to a state where the wages play to your advantage.
Work experience, Educational background, increase of work opportunities are just some of the factors that promise a positive increase in sonogram tech salary. With the right information, it is possible for any individual to increase their earnings and advance in the field of sonography.
In The End, A career as an ultrasound technician is one with many promises. As a technician, you have the ability to climb the medical ladder and become the best in your field. The current demand also indicates a bright future for higher ultrasound technician salary.
- How To Become An Ultrasound Technician?
If you want to earn ARDMS credential, you must complete ultrasound technician educational requirements (Normally A 2-Years Associate’s Degree or A 4-Years Bachelor’s Degree in sonography program from an accredited school) and you should have 12 months of full time clinical ultrasound experience as well.
- How Many Years Does It Take To Become An Ultrasound Technician?
Most People hold just an Associate’s Degree, which typically takes 2 years to complete.
- What Is The Starting Salary For A Ultrasound Technician?
Starting Salary of entry-level technician is $35,000-45,000
- What Are The Duties Of An Ultrasound Technician?
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, operates machines called sonographic scanners that creates images of patients internal organs. Main Job duties includes – Explain the ultrasound procedure to patient and answer any questions they may have.
- How Much Money Does An Ultrasound Technician Make Yearly?
An Ultrasound techs earned an average $68,900 annually as of January 2022.
- Are Sonographers In High Demand?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the employment of Sonographers is projected to increase by 48% between 2021 and 2025.
- What Is The Ultrasound Technician Hourly Salary?
The lowest paid 10% received $21.61 per hour. The highest paid 10% makes $43.58 hourly.
– Last Updated – January 10, 2022